Tips and Resources
- Seek your doctor’s advice before beginning any walking or fitness program.
- Wear comfortable clothing and appropriate walking shoes.
- Walk with a buddy.
- Carry a cell phone if you have one.
- Drink water to stay hydrated.
- Only cross the street in a marked crosswalk. Look both ways.
- Cross when allowed by the signal.
Walkers are responsible for their own safety so knowledge and awareness will help you take the right precautions. The Internet, senior and civic organizations, or your local police station may have additional safety tips.