Railroad Crossing Enhancements

Skip navigation Reduce Motion High Contrast Careers Contact Us
Skip to main content
  • Railroad Crossing Enhancements

    What is a Railroad Crossing? 

    A railroad crossing is an intersection along the tracks where a road or sidewalk intersects train tracks.

    Latest Construction News

    As Metrolink service continues to increase in the coming years, OCTA partnered with eight local cities to enhance 52 railroad crossings. The program began in 2009 and included track developments, new barriers, signal coordination and other improvements to enhance safety around the crossings. The program was completed in January 2012 in Anaheim, Dana Point, Irvine, Orange, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana and Tustin.

    Enhancing Safety Around the Tracks 


    OCTA's rail safety enhancement program included upgrading and improving safety features at 52 railroad crossings throughout the county. This is the first countywide effort to enhance rail safety in Anaheim, Dana Point, Irvine, Orange, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana and Tustin. Countywide improvements feature safety enhancements for pedestrians and motorists and include supplemental safety measures to meet the Federal Railroad Administration’s requirements for a quiet zone.

    Railroad Crossing Locations

    The 52 railroad crossings are spread throughout eight cities in the county: Anaheim, Dana Point, Irvine, Orange, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana and Tustin.

    Made Possible by Measure M2 

    Measure M2, Orange County’s half-cent sales tax for transportation, funded 88 percent of the rail safety enhancement program, and the remaining 12 percent was funded by participating cities.

    The contractor will work on numerous crossings at a time and the majority of construction work will be done at night, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. when the trail is closed. However, some daytime work is required and will take place between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m..

    Please be advised, construction work may be loud and disruptive due to construction equipment and truck back-up alarms. Dates also are subject to change due to unforeseen operational factors and inclement weather. 

    In other related rail improvements, the San Clemente Pier Station platform is currently under rehabilitation for the next few weeks. Please be advised this work may be loud and disruptive to nearby pedestrians and beachgoers.

    Overview

    What is a Railroad Crossing? 

    A railroad crossing is an intersection along the tracks where a road or sidewalk intersects train tracks.

    Latest Construction News

    As Metrolink service continues to increase in the coming years, OCTA partnered with eight local cities to enhance 52 railroad crossings. The program began in 2009 and included track developments, new barriers, signal coordination and other improvements to enhance safety around the crossings. The program was completed in January 2012 in Anaheim, Dana Point, Irvine, Orange, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana and Tustin.

    Details

    Enhancing Safety Around the Tracks 


    OCTA's rail safety enhancement program included upgrading and improving safety features at 52 railroad crossings throughout the county. This is the first countywide effort to enhance rail safety in Anaheim, Dana Point, Irvine, Orange, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana and Tustin. Countywide improvements feature safety enhancements for pedestrians and motorists and include supplemental safety measures to meet the Federal Railroad Administration’s requirements for a quiet zone.

    Railroad Crossing Locations

    The 52 railroad crossings are spread throughout eight cities in the county: Anaheim, Dana Point, Irvine, Orange, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana and Tustin.

    Made Possible by Measure M2 

    Measure M2, Orange County’s half-cent sales tax for transportation, funded 88 percent of the rail safety enhancement program, and the remaining 12 percent was funded by participating cities.

    Detours

    The contractor will work on numerous crossings at a time and the majority of construction work will be done at night, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. when the trail is closed. However, some daytime work is required and will take place between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m..

    Please be advised, construction work may be loud and disruptive due to construction equipment and truck back-up alarms. Dates also are subject to change due to unforeseen operational factors and inclement weather. 

    In other related rail improvements, the San Clemente Pier Station platform is currently under rehabilitation for the next few weeks. Please be advised this work may be loud and disruptive to nearby pedestrians and beachgoers.

    Gallery
    Stay Informed
Get Connected