Improving the Gateway to Orange County
Construction began in spring 2006 on the Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) Gateway Project and was completed in late 2010. The four-year project widened the remaining two miles of the Santa Ana Freeway (Interstate 5) in Orange County from the Riverside Freeway (State Route 91) to the Los Angeles County line. Landscaping is complete. The I-5 Gateway Project was the final link in the original Measure M's (Orange County's half-cent transportation sales tax) ambitious freeway improvement program.
- Added a new travel lane in each direction
- Added a new carpool lane in each direction
- Added extended merging lanes where possible
- Rebuilt overpasses at Stanton Avenue, Beach Boulevard and Western Avenue
- Rebuilt Artesia Boulevard underpass and realign northbound on- and off-ramps
- Realigned the railroad from Stanton Avenue to Artesia Boulevard
- Built aesthetically pleasing retaining walls
I-5 Freeway Widening Improvements in North and South Los Angeles County
To learn more about the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) District 7’s northern I-5 Corridor Improvement Projects ranging from the Ventura Freeway (SR-134) to the Los Angeles/Kern County line or the southern I-5 Corridor Improvement Projects stretching from Los Angeles County to the Orange County line please visit the website at www.I-5info.com or call the toll-free hotline at (855) 454-6335.