I-5/Camino Capistrano Project
Construction is now underway to enhance traffic flow and improve the southbound ramp interchange on the San Diego Freeway (I-5) at Camino Capistrano in San Juan Capistrano. The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), in coordination with the Federal Highway Administration oversees the construction of the off-ramp widening and related improvements to address traffic backing up at the interchange on the freeway.
- Add a merging lane to the southbound off-ramp
- Add a second southbound left turn exit lane
- Provide a yield-controlled, right-turn only lane to the southbound on-ramp
- Add travel lanes to Camino Capistrano
- Add a sidewalk on Camino Capistrano
- Add a bike lane on a portion of Camino Capistrano
- Replace and extend a soundwall along the off-ramp merging lane.
Status of Project
Construction began in July 2011. The $10 million project is scheduled to be completed by early 2013.
July 2011 Construction began
Early 2013 Construction scheduled for completion
Early 2014 Landscaping scheduled for completion