WCC Project Milestones
- Southbound I-605 to southbound I-405 carpool connector - Open
- Northbound I-405 to northbound I-605 carpool connector - Open
- Westbound SR-22 to northbound I-405 carpool connector - Open
- Southbound I-405 to eastbound SR-22 carpool connector – Open
With the HOV connectors now open, freeway closures are anticipated to occur intermittently through February 2015. These anticipated intermittent nighttime closures are needed for crews to conduct clean-up activities and de-mobilize their equipment throughout the project area.
The West County Connectors project is a joint partnership between OCTA and Caltrans linking high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes/carpool lanes on the San Diego Freeway (I-405) with those on the Garden Grove Freeway (SR-22) and San Gabriel River Freeway (I-605) to create a seamless carpool connection amongst the three freeways. The 6-mile project traverses the cities of Garden Grove, Westminster, Seal Beach, Los Alamitos, Long Beach and the community of Rossmoor.
Project Improvements Include
- Constructing two direct carpool connectors
- Adding a second carpool lane in each direction on the I-405 between the SR-22 and the I-605
- Reconstructing on- and off-ramps
- Constructing soundwalls and retaining walls
- Adding landscaping and enhancing aesthetic elements
Completion of the carpool connectors marks just one of the major milestones achieved over the last four years. This infographic highlights a few of the exciting milestones the WCC project team has celebrated since the project began in 2010.
Project Video & PSA
Catch a glimpse of what the project area will look like upon completion of the WCC project.
The project is split into two segments – east and west segments.
EAST SEGMENT: SR-22/I-405 Carpool Connector
- Directly connect the westbound SR-22 carpool lane at Valley View Street to the carpool lane on the northbound I-405 and the reverse movement
- Reconstruct southbound I-405 to eastbound SR-22 connector
- Reconstruct the Valley View Street Bridge over the SR-22
WEST SEGMENT: I-405/I-605 Carpool Connector
- Directly connect the northbound I-405 carpool lane to the carpool lane on the northbound I-605 and the reverse movement.
- Reconstruct the Seal Beach Boulevard bridge over I-405. Click for more information.
- Reconstruct the eastbound SR-22 to the northbound I-405 connector.
- Reconstruct the eastbound SR-22 to the northbound I-605 connector.
- Reconstruct the northbound I-405 to the westbound SR-22 connector /7th St.